Remember the game Snakes & Ladders? I used to love that as a child – I’d play for hours until I beat those snakes and got to my goal … the 100th square.
When I started to use social media for my business it struck me that it was very similar to Snakes & Ladders … I was playing Social Media Snakes & Ladders!
LADDERS: Some activities will help grow your followers, you get more engagement and you make useful connections.
SNAKES: Some activities will cause you to lose followers and it feels like tumbleweed is blowing across your @Connect tab.
So to help you get to your goals on social media here’s some Snakes & Ladders for you to think about if you’re using Twitter for business.
- Use Twitter’s advanced search to find opportunities (find more targeted people to engage with)
- Include important keywords in your Twitter bio (helps you get found in a search)
- Retweet other people’s tweets (help others – it’s not all about you)
- Create lists to filter out the noise (do most of your networking with the people most important to you)
- Tweet links to your blog posts (give people useful info & send them to your website at the same time)
- Use bit.ly to shorten links and track clicks (continue to tweet things that work and change the tweets that don’t)
- Only tweeting once per week (you need to be consistent and tweet every day)
- Not checking your @connect tab (you need to know if anyone’s talking to you)
- Leaving the generic twitter egg as your photo (we need to know who you are)
- Following anyone and everyone (it’s more effective if you follow a targeted network)
- Only tweeting sales messages (it’s not an advert channel – talk to people too)
- Not using a website link in your Twitter bio (a missed opportunity to get more traffic)
Keep ‘playing’ Twitter for your business, beat those snakes and reach your social media goals.
If you’d like to learn more about the principles of social media for business my FREE ebook is packed with useful tips you can put into practice today. Click here to download it Generating Leads with Social Media